You are here
Home > News > Woman Gets Flesh-Eating Bacteria From Zipline Accident

Woman Gets Flesh-Eating Bacteria From Zipline Accident

A 24-year-old Georgia woman clings to life after she contracted a flesh-eating bacteria from a zip-lining accident.

Aimee Copeland went on a kayaking trip with friends in Carrolton, Georgia. The homemade zipline she used snapped and cut through her left calf Tuesday.

She received stitches and left the hospital thinking everything was fine. However, the pain did not go away. After going back to the doctor several times, an ER physician finally diagnosed her with necrotizing fasciitis. An infection caused by a rare flesh-eating bacteria.

Her leg was amputated immediately including some tissue from her abdomen in hopes of stopping the bacteria from spreading. Doctors on Tuesday have said her chances of survival were “slim to none.”

Copeland’s father posted on a Facebook page asking people to, “Believe and pray for a miracle to happen for Aimee Copeland.”

He also wrote:

“As if [the surgery] wasn’t enough, Aimee arrested when they moved her from the operating table, but they were able to successfully resuscitate her. Aimee’s probability of surviving the night is bleak. All we can do and all we have done is pray.”

May 9, 2012: Aimee’s condition worsened. Her organs began to shut down according to the site put up by her family.

May 9, 2012, 3:55pm: Her father reported that Aimee showed signs of improvement. “Her lungs have moved from being totally dependent upon the respirator to being 40-percent self-respiration.”

You may also like: